24 October 2011

Akwaaba!


Boats docked near Fort Ussher, Accra
On the eve of my three weeks in Ghana I finally sat down to start my blog, only for a power outage to postpone that until this morning.  But not to worry, here we are.  In addition to power outages - mind you I've only encountered a few thus far - there are many new elements in which to work with and adapt to on a day-to-day basis; however, I haven't found it extremely overwhelming but rather encouraging.  Fair enough this isn't by far my first experience abroad or even to Africa but Ghana is different. I can't completely describe it just yet, but I'm looking forward to what the coming months have to offer.


Over the next few months I will be based in Accra as I work with Canadian Crossroads International's partner organization, ABANTU for Development which seeks to increase the role and visibility of women in policy and governance in Ghana, as well as throughout the West-African sub-region.  As a Researcher on Gender Issues I will be working with my colleagues here at ABANTU to develop a research guide and design capacity building workshops in preparation for the upcoming national election in December 2012 and beyond.


Stalls at Makola Market

I have received a gracious akwaaba (welcome) since my arrival and experienced a genuine sincerity from the locals I've met along the way.  The past three weeks have been filled with trotro's, markets, crafting the art of bartering, castles, forts and even a couple beaches but most importantly one of my favourite parts of experiencing a new culture, food.  I have fallen in love...with plantain chips, jollof rice, red red & can't wait to discover more! 

In the week ahead I promise to revisit my blog and bring you all up to speed.  And of course throughout my time in Ghana I'll be sure to send my messages via blog bottle (at least this way they should arrive a bit faster and with more accuracy).

Keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment